Great news! American Cruise ships are currently sailing! We are your resource for the most up to date information around vaccination & testing requirements, whether you will need a mask, taking shore excursions, and health & safety measurements taken by the cruise line.
Do I need a vaccine to travel on an American Cruise?
As with other segments of the travel and hotel industries, American Cruise Lines strongly recommends the COVID-19 vaccine for all eligible guests. Vaccines may become required in specific instances when necessitated by the ports or states visited, and all guests will be asked to certify and show proof of their vaccination status. The COVID-19 variants pose certain additional risks that may impact the cruise experience, particularly for unvaccinated guests.
- Guests will be asked to show proof of vaccination and will be required to complete a pre-embarkation health declaration certifying their vaccination status.
- Unvaccinated guests will be subject to additional testing and quarantine requirements that may affect their ability to travel or participate in the cruise.
- All unvaccinated guests are advised that vaccines may become required with minimal notice prior to their cruise.
- COVID-19 Vaccines are required on 2021 cruises visiting the State of Alaska, where we visit some of the most remote places in America.
We do not collect vaccination cards or store proof of vaccination. Those cruise lines that have vaccine requirements to cruise will likely ask for proof at the time of boarding.
Required COVID-19 Testing:
- All guests embarking on American Cruise Lines vessels must take a COVID-19 test as part of the boarding process.
- Tests will be conducted on the day of embarkation, at either the pre-cruise hotel (if applicable) or upon arrival to the ship.
- During the cruise guests may be tested for COVID-19 every 3 to 4 days as part of a routine testing program.
- Testing is conducted using antigen test kits and takes approximately 15 minutes to produce a result.
- Any unvaccinated guest must receive a molecular COVID-19 test (i.e. NAAT or PCR test) no more than 3 days prior to travel and email the results to email@example.com prior to boarding.
- Unvaccinated guests will also be administered an antigen test on embarkation day and routine testing no less than every 3 days during the cruise.
- Guests on cruises visiting Washington State: the Washington Governor’s office has issued guidance that cruise passengers complete a molecular COVID-19 test (i.e. NAAT or PCR test) no more than 3 days prior to travel.
- All guests on cruises visiting Washington must complete this test as specified and email the result to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that these guidelines are subject to change.
Do I need to wear a mask?
The White House’s Executive Order on Promoting COVD-19 Safety in Domestic and International Travel and the U.S. Coast Guard’s Bulletin on COVID-19 Safety Requirements in the Maritime Transportation System require that masks be worn aboard U.S. public maritime vessels. American Cruise Lines is requiring masks while indoors in public spaces consistent with the orders of both entities.
The Covid-19 Operating Protocol is subject to review and change at any time. As the situation evolves, operating practices must be adapted; this includes the potential for cruise suspension. These practices do not eliminate the risk. Rather, they are designed to reduce risk and slow the spread of illness by removing known transmission sources, increasing awareness, and speeding response time.
Things to know:
- All guests should carefully review pre-booking and pre-travel health advice on our website and the website of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
Can I get off the ship at port?
American Cruise Lines has always taken great care to provide a carefully planned, personalized experience ashore. With small ship capacities, and even small excursion groups, shore excursions will be able to continue in an enjoyable manner.
Things to know:
- Every shore excursion venue has been screened for social distancing capability and sanitation practices. In most cases, only minor edits to planned excursions were needed ensure that social distancing could be maintained.
- While always small, shore excursions will be conducted in even smaller groups to enable social distancing. The exact group size is determined by the ability of each venue to ensure distancing practices and safe exploration.
- Each group will have private transportation directly to and from each venue. Coaches will operate at reduced capacity and will be sanitized before every boarding
These restrictions are under the control of local government and are subject to change without advance notice, so we encourage guests to come prepared for potential mask requirements ashore.
Health & Safety on the Ship
American Cruise Lines has partnered with Vikand Solutions to provide a shipboard certified Medical Officer on each ship and various medical services, including COVID-19 testing. Vikand is a leading global provider of medical services to the maritime industry. In addition to providing services onboard, Vikand has worked with us and each port of call to reduce risk and ensure capable care in any situation.
Things to know:
- Each ship has a completely independent HVAC system with no shared ducting between rooms or public spaces. By isolating HVAC equipment, we can greatly reduce the risk of spreading germs through multiple spaces on the ship.
- We have taken care to enhance cleanliness and reduce the number of required touchpoints aboard each ship. This includes the implementation of a touch-free boarding and check-in process. The vessel will be completely cleaned between cruises with additional sanitation rounds conducted hourly.
- A dedicated space will be provided on each ship for a medical consulting and will be equipped with a Quidel Sofia 2 COVID-19 testing machine. In addition, an allotment of staterooms aboard each ship will be kept sanitized and unoccupied unless they become necessary for isolation purposes.
- PPE will available to guests and crew at all times. This includes sanitizer and facemasks.
Satisfy your wanderlust by booking early with American Airlines Cruises to lock in the cruise of your dreams at the absolute lowest price. Book your next cruise today!
Check here for the most up to date information on each Cruise Destination, including vaccination requirements, mask mandates, shore excursions, and insurance requirements.