Great news! Holland America Cruise ships are back in the water! We are your resource for the most up to date information around vaccination & testing requirements, whether you will need a mask, taking shore excursions, and health & safety measurements taken by the cruise line.
In accordance with CDC guidelines, our cruises departing from U.S. ports through February 28, 2022, are available for guests who have received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise. On voyages sailing through February 28, 2022, all guests will be required to produce a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) result taken within 2 days of their embarkation.
Quick updated checklist of what you need prior to boarding your cruise on sailings up to and including February 28, 2022. More details can be found below:
- Negative viral COVID-19 test taken within 2 days of departure
- Vaccine card if vaccinated, Travel Insurance Requirement for unvaccinated guests on Florida & Texas based ships
- Complete online health questionnaire 72-24 hours prior to sailing
- Masks are now required for all guests regardless of vaccine status
- Shore excursion requirements
1. Negative COVID-19 Testing Requirements for sailings up to and including February 28, 2022.
- Holland America will require ALL fully vaccinated guests to produce a negative, medically-observed viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within 2 days of their embarkation on cruises through February 28, 2022.
- Sailings are available to fully vaccinated guests only.
- Fully vaccinated guests will be required to provide proof of this negative COVID-19 test, along with proof of full vaccination at least 14 days prior to embarkation, upon arrival in the terminal and can then proceed on board.
- For guests embarking in the United States, please note that testing in the terminal will not be available so it’s critical that you have your negative test results with you at cruise check-in. We will not be able to accommodate guests without proof of a negative test.
- For guests embarking in Europe, we are conducting mandatory COVID-19 antigen testing at the pier pursuant to the EU Healthy Gateways Protocols. This test will be complimentary, and a negative result will satisfy our new testing requirements.
2. Proof of Vaccination: Guests will be asked to confirm their status as fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination in advance of boarding. Updated for sailings up to and including February 28, 2022.
* It’s important for guests to come prepared, as those who arrive at the embarkation terminal without the proper proof of vaccination will not be able to cruise, and no refund will be issued.
- Guests must present proof of vaccination, as well as all required travel documents, at embarkation.
- Acceptable proofs of full vaccination include: COVID-19 vaccination card; digital COVID-19 certificate (QR code acceptable); or record of COVID-19 vaccination from a healthcare provider including original digital email notification, personal electronic health record, or government Immunization information system (IIS) record.
- The name and birth date on the vaccination record must match the guest’s travel documents and show that the guest is fully vaccinated.
- This means that the guest has completed the full cycle of required doses for the vaccine administered (i.e., received the second dose in a two-dose series) and that the guest has received the final dose at least 14 days before the sailing date.
- Alternatively, guests may present a digital COVID-19 Certificate (QR code acceptable) and a record of COVID-19 vaccination from a healthcare provider (original digital email accepted), personal electronic health record, or government Immunization Information System record.
- Holland America recommends you have the contact information (email and phone) immediately available of the healthcare provider or clinic site that issued the certificate, in order to validate the vaccination if needed. A vaccination registry site may also be used.
Which COVID-19 vaccines will be accepted?
Acceptable vaccines are those that are approved, or have an emergency use authorization or listing from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or the World Health Organization (WHO).
- Pfizer: 2 Doses
- Moderna: 2 Doses
- Johnson & Johnson: 1 Dose
- AstraZeneca: 2 Doses
- Sinopharm: 2 doses
- Sinovac: 2 Doses
- US ONLY: Novavax clinical trial participants who can confirm that they received the full 2-dose series of the active COVID-19 vaccine.
- EUROPE ONLY: COVID-19 immunity may be considered equivalent to "Fully Vaccinated" if guest received 1 dose of one these vaccines (Comirnaty (Pfizer), Spikevax (Moderna) or Vaxzevria (AstraZeneca)) 14 days or more ago after a previous SARS-CoV-2 infection, with a Digital COVID Certificate of Vaccination.
Can I have mixed vaccines?
Guests will be considered fully vaccinated who have received their final dose of an authorized/approved COVID-19 vaccine, or any combination of two doses of an authorized/approved vaccine at least 14 days before the beginning of the cruise. Acceptable vaccines are those that have been approved/authorized by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or have emergency-use listing by the World Health Organization (WHO).
- MIXED DOSES: Pfizer (1 Dose) + Moderna (1 Dose)
- MIXED DOSES: AstraZeneca (1 Dose) + Pfizer (1 Dose) OR Moderna (1 Dose)
We do not collect vaccination cards or store proof of vaccination. Those cruise lines that have vaccine requirements to cruise will likely ask for proof at the time of boarding.
3. Health Questionnaire: You must also complete your Holland America Line health questionnaire 72-24 hours before you embark the ship using the Navigator mobile app or online check-in. You’ll be asked to complete the questionnaire before leaving home to begin traveling on your vacation, and then reconfirm your answers when arriving at the port.
- If you have any symptoms of illness, you will be separated from other embarking guests for secondary medical screening. Depending on the outcome of the screening, you and your traveling party may be denied boarding. During a secondary medical screening, our medical staff will need to verify your health questionnaire answers, or any corrections, and then consider whether to permit you to embark.
- If you refuse to be tested or screened, or to follow the COVID-19 Protocols, you may be denied boarding and no refund or credit will be issued. Information provided will be subject to our privacy notice on hollandamerica.com, and shared only as needed with Holland America Line personnel, third parties or local health authorities as part of screening and embarkation-related health protocols.
4. Masks are now required for all guests regardless of vaccine status:
Through February 28, 2022, all guests will be required to wear face masks in elevators and in designated indoor entertainment areas, all retail shops, and in the casino, except when eating or drinking. Guests will be required to wear face masks prior to being seated in all dining venues and Lido Market and occasionally in other areas where larger numbers of guests may congregate (signs will be posted).
Things to know:
- Holland America Line is providing a double-layer cloth mask for each guest on board.
- Guests may also use their own double-layer cloth or paper medical mask.
- Face coverings such as bandanas, neck gaiters, and masks with exhaust valves are not allowed.
- We always recommend guests wash or replace their mask daily and choose a good quality, ideally medical grade, standard mask.
- Please note that visors and face shields will not be accepted as a substitute for a face mask.
- These new requirements are being implemented to protect our guests and crew while onboard.
- Several destinations have implemented their own requirements and all guests will be required to follow the protocols in each destination we visit.
- All guests ages 12 and older will be required to wear face masks in elevators and in designated indoor entertainment areas, all retail shops, and in the casino, except when eating or drinking.
5. Shore Excursions
Holland America Line approved shore excursions are strongly encouraged; independent activities are permitted. Follow local rules and regulations while on shore.
Things to know:
- Cruise Lines are working with local authorities, destinations and tour operators so that the enhanced health and safety measures on board are maintained ashore.
- Guests must follow the health protocols for every port they visit.
- There may be a reduction in the capacity of excursions and tour vehicles.
- Only shore excursions that comply with prescribed protocols will be permitted, with strict adherence required of all guests and possible denial of re-boarding for any guests who do not comply.
Health & Safety on the Ship
Ships and terminals will undergo a thorough sanitization between sailings and guests will be encouraged to use the hand-washing sinks and hand sanitizer dispensers at venue entrances and in high-traffic areas throughout the ship. Guests will also be asked to follow health information about the ways to stay healthy on board and when ashore.
Holland America has not yet made an announcement about how buffets will operate.
Things to know:
- All guests and crew embarking a ship will likely undergo enhanced pre-embarkation health screening in accordance with prevailing health best practices, such as health questionnaires and touch-free temperature checks as appropriate
- Ships have introduced enhanced fresh air distribution into public spaces and staterooms and HEPA filtration systems to key areas such as Medical Centers and dedicated isolation rooms
- Rapid response and contact tracing plans exist in case of on-board illness
- Ships have a team of highly-trained medical staff including qualified doctors and nurses who have experience in caring for a broad range of medical conditions and medical centers with both outpatient and inpatient facilities including critical care capabilities
- There are enhanced Health & Safety Trainings and Continued Education for Crew Members focusing on COVID-19
Satisfy your wanderlust by booking early with American Airlines Cruises to lock in the cruise of your dreams at the absolute lowest price. Book your next cruise today!
Check here for the most up to date information on each Cruise Destination, including vaccination requirements, mask mandates, shore excursions, and insurance requirements.